Saturday, February 26, 2011

Feb. 25th Sweater Off Dead 10pm Show

Sweater Off Dead started our new format last night where we stand at the front of the stage after we get the suggestion and one by one perform a small solo monologue about the given suggestion. Last night we got the suggestion of "monkey", greatly influenced I believe by Clay Barton asking the audience beforehand to sound like 75 monkeys. It reminded me of Four Day Weekend's slide show at their theater where they say that the suggestion they get most often is monkey. So we all did our monologues, and I can't really remember anyone's but my own (I'll have to get better at that). So Darek and Carley started off with a scene about a scientist and a super intelligent monkey who he would ask for life coaching. The scene after that was with Kenna and I playing a body builder and a coach who tries to convince the body builder that what they're judging is on the inside. So instead of flexing my muscles, I start to blow up balloon animals. It was a fun silly scene. There was also a great initiation by Darek where he was asked to pick up his toys and he said "How else do you expected me to prepare for my mission to outer space". I loved that. Then it went to the SpaceDMV for him to get his license, and I played an annoyed patron behind him who was in a hurry. So much so that we got our pictures taken together with the warning that their photographic technology could only recognize one face. So we had this Space license for both of us where his face was the only one that showed up, so I couldn't get into clubs, and was harshly questioned when stopped by police. I did a horrible Irish accent in a scene which I felt bad about because I didn't fully commit to it. I was too concerned with looking stupid. Need to work on that. In the final scene, I got labeled as a cat and played it to the hilt with balls of yarn, going ape shit over a laser pointer, and sipping a saucer of milk. I did some physical stuff with it that I was proud of. With all things considered, it was a pretty good show. We're starting to get back to being comfortable again, and I'm really glad, because the shows towards the end of the year were kind of awkward.

No comments:

Post a Comment